Warringah Plastics embarked on a new logistics project for Monroe Australia, the largest manufacturer of shock absorbers and other ride control products in Australia, for supply to Holden.
Design & Build a custom transport pallet that resolved multiple system issues.
Old shipping method
The tray needed to:
• Hold the struts in 3 different states of manufacture
• To hold 3 different sized struts
• Protect each strut from the next
• Be ergonomic by design for loading & unloading struts
• Bulk stack to at least 5 high, therefore bear a load of 400kg +minimum
• Nest, or bulk stack into each other when empty for complete cycle between plants
• Be designed for mass manufacturability, durability & minimal use of material
• Be 100% recyclable at the end of the pallets’ life cycle
New shipping method
5 axis CAD/CAM – Making the Pattern
The outcome has been very successful for both Monroe and Warringah Plastics. Monroe has been able to:
• Maintain pace with existing manufacturing cell whilst providing superior protection to WIP goods
• Minimise potential transit damage to finished goods
• Provide superior product presentation to customer
• Reduce packaging waste by 100%
• Reduce likelihood of adjacent parts clashing which minimises potential for injury during load and unload
• Fulfil environmental requirements as pallets are 100% recyclable at the end of their life-cycle
Warringah Plastics Design & Product Development team were able to work remotely along with Monroe Engineering Department on the project to resolve an efficient, mass manufactured and compliant product that achieved 100% of the initial criteria. From sketch through to CAD modelling, Warringah Plastics then 5 Axis CNC milled the timber pattern for the prototype. With a few tweaks both ‘virtually’ via CAD modelling & using physical prototypes from the timber pattern, a solution was resolved to produce tooling for mass production.
Nest-ability and product protection
Warringah Plastic prides itself on its ‘turn-key’ solution based setup; design all the way through to manufacturing all under one roof. Warringah Plastics has the ability to locally supply quality product to Australian manufacturers, agents and end-users with short lead times and with great attention towards customer service and satisfaction.