It is evident that our world is a changing place with human impacts on the environment becoming of increasing concern. It is our goal to decrease in every way possible this environmental impact and to manage the needs of customer requirements in an environmentally sustainable way. Like all materials plastic is a finite resource and is made mostly from petrochemicals. However the great advantage of thermoplastics is that they have the ability to be re-moulded after they have been formed many times. As a result recycling is of paramount importance to us; where possible every plastic component or off-cut that is able to be recycled is recycled and we even form products using our very own recycled material. ABS, ASA and HDPE are all materials we recycle through our partners and we often utilise innovative techniques of layering the plastic so that the outer surface contains virgin material whilst the inner majority layer contains recycled material which still maintains the same molecular structure because of the nature of the repeated chains derived from monomers which can contain many thousands of repeating units. Where possible we do try and source material from bio-plastics which are made from sustainable organic materials like cellulose and starch. Our key strategies for reducing our environmental impact include:
• Recycling plastic waste wherever possible
• Recycling paper waste by placing it in our designated paper recycling bins
• Designing products that have less impact on the environment by making products easy to be recycled by minimising the use of fasteners or adhesives and by maximising sheet yields. Clever design can also reduce the manufacturing processing of products and consequently cycle times
• The procurement of materials by ordering the minimum to complete a job
• Turning off all electrical, air and gas equipment when not in use. This includes computers, lights, machines, air conditioners and air compressors
• Reducing the amount of water used throughout the company
• Reducing unnecessary transport of products both inside and outside our premises
• Complying with all applicable laws regarding the disposal of chemicals and dangerous items
• Our asset procurement strategy by considering environmental impacts of machines and other equipment
• Working with suppliers, customers and contractors for shared methods of reducing our overall environmental impact
At every stage of the design and manufacturing process we are conscious about reducing unnecessary waste. We believe through clever design we can reduce part numbers, adhesives and fasteners. Through our lean manufacturing program we are continually reducing waste from our machines and processes. We also take a holistic approach to caring for the environment by reducing unnecessary waste in electricity usage, air and gas. At Warringah Plastics we are committed to environmental sustainability and we do this through our compliance with the AS/NZS 4801:2001 Safety Management Systems Standard.
Warringah Plastics recognises the importance of environmental protection and is committed to operating its business responsibly and in compliance with all legal requirements relating to the manufacturing of plastic. It is Warringah Plastics declared policy to operate with and to maintain good relations with all regulatory bodies.
It is Warringah Plastics objective to carry out all measures reasonably practicable to meet, exceed or develop all necessary or desirable requirements and to continually improve environmental performance through the implementation of the following:
• Regularly asses the environmental effects of the Organisation’s activities
• Training of employees in environmental issues and environmental awareness
• Minimise the waste caused by manufacturing activities
• Minimise the usage of raw materials in the manufacturing process
• Minimise the use of all forms of energy
• Promote the use of recyclable and renewable materials
• Reduce or limit the production of pollutants that can be disseminated into water, land or air
• Control noise emissions from manufacturing operations
• Minimise the risk to the general public and employees from operations and activities undertaken by the organisation
This Policy is communicated to all employees, suppliers and sub-contractors and is published on our website.